Friday, June 17, 2011

Response Blog #7

Reflecting on this course has reiterated to me how vast the Internet is. So many options and so many opportunities that it can be overwhelming at times, but incredibly awesome at the same time. I thought I was an Internet expert until I read November's book and I shortly realized that reading URLs and analyzing websites is something that is as important as learning math this day and age. I know next year I am going to really emphasize that with my students. The earlier they learn the better they will become at it when they are adult learners.

I've always been concerned about safety on the Internet. I've always been cautious with my personal information and always used virus protection applications. This course has made me realize how easy it is for a youngster who doesn't understand all that stuff to go out on the web and do something silly because they weren't trained properly. I think we as educators should emphasize showing learners how to use the Internet for educational purposes but also almost just as important how to safely explore. Just like we teach our kids fire safety, water safety, etc.

I know that in my classroom I am going to utilize the Internet next year more than ever. I am really excited to get my wiki up and running and I even have proposed to my principal to create a school wide wiki that teachers would have access to use. Thanks to this class I have great ideas that I want to use on a regular basis. I am obsessed with Jing and Voicethread now. I think they are so convenient and I plan on using them when I have to do some Professional Developments for my school next year.

All in all this was a great course that I have gained many tools for toolbox. With the right equipment I feel that I can do great things with young children now. 21st century learning can be exciting and beneficial if done properly, and after taking this course, I feel tat I am on the right path to be an excellent 21st century educator.

2 comments:

  1. I especially connected with your paragraph on Internet safety and how easy it is for students to be unsafe simply because they don't know any better. When I was in middle school we had a keyboarding class that was a school requirement. I think today that class should be replaced by an Internet class--a required course that exposes students to the right ways to navigate the Internet. --Jen A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - great idea; however, the keyboarding I feel is still important....maybe an option for the students? The Internet safety class should happen throughout their schooling - elementary, middle, and high school! TEachers are the ones who really need it so that they understand Internet Safety and can model it/share it with their students.

    ReplyDelete