Friday, May 27, 2011

Response Blog #4

Wikis and Web2.0 tools aren't exactly new to me. Even though I don't use wiki's I have heard of them and I have used and explored them in the past. This week during my exploration and especially during the ERIC article and Keynote by Will Richardson, I have realized how beneficial wikis can be. Will Richardson said it best during his speech that the next generation of learners has to learn a completely new literacy then the literacy that we were taught. This virtual literacy doesn't have the same rules as the one one that we were taught. This is an interesting time for us because we are in the driver seat to guide these students into that new literacy. I also liked it when Will Richardson stated how we as educator should feel uncomfortable right now, because this is such a drastic change in our field.

It's scary to think about it sometimes, but also exciting. Take wikis for example. These are fantastic places for learners from anywhere in the world to gather together and learn from one another. I loved the example in the ERIC article of the Canadian school doing a community based project with the Japanese students. This was a touching tale that motivated me to begin thinking in that collaborative type of educating. I would start small.

My idea for next year would be to maybe team up with a friend who is a teacher in a suburban school. I would create a wiki and send my friend the information as well, that way both of our classrooms would be connected. We could organize similar type projects of the Canadian and Japanese schools to learn about each other's communities, etc. We could also use it as a forum for online discussion between students, almost like virtual penpals since most second graders don't have email addresses. We could also post projects and other researched materials. It could also be a place (with the right technology) for us to maybe video conference a cool lesson that one of us had planned. The more I think about this idea the more excited I get about it. In fact I'm going to email my friend when I get finished blogging.

This would have two benefits, the suburban students would appreciate the fact that a lot of people live in neighborhoods such as my students. I know growing up in a middle class area I was very oblivious to what almost 50% of our nation lives in; I was in a bubble so to say. And my students would see what other neighborhoods outside of their own is like since most of them don't ever leave the area. A possible downfall to this would be maybe my students feeling depressed or saddened to see what other kids lives are like, even though I doubt this because my students are resilient, but it is a possibility. My vision is already laid out, and I already have my partner teacher in mind, as I'm sure he would cooperate with me. I'm very excited to possibly collaborate an inner city classroom with a rural/suburban classroom. I think both classrooms would benefit from it.

I would use this wiki to get me up to par with using widgets and other rollovers when I'm designing the wiki. The website is called http://gettingtrickywithwikis.wikispaces.com/.
I know that designing this would be a lot of work (but that's what the summer's for). I also know that I will probably hit some rough patches with this but I think if I start small and take my failures in stride that it will be successful.

8 comments:

  1. Phil, your idea for next year sounds great! Kids live in a bubble. (I know I did and still do sometimes.) This is a way for them to connect with kids not so far away, but who might live completely differently than they do.

    And THANK YOU for posting the "gettingtrickywithwikis" link! I've been trying to work with my school district's web 2.0 website and this has all of the ideas that the kids and I have had in one place! This also really helps me with my web design class. We've been trying to figure out a way for the class to post their websites within our class page and I think the "embed a webpage" feature might work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil--I have a friend who had this same idea to start small and begin connecting his students with others. He is an elementary school teacher and here is an example for you of what he came up with using global journal:
    http://teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/staffdev/fitzpatrick_f/globaljournal/home.html
    --Jen A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very ambitious Phil. You seems ultra passionate about your students and technology integrations. Thanks for the links. I think I might even be able to tweak them for use with some of my coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great idea! I loved the article too, and the Canadian school connecting with the Japanese school really touched me too. I was thinking about how I could incorporate something like that into my classroom. I'm so glad you shared your example. I have found that my school blocks so much, or so I'm assuming. For example, I was not able to take this week's poll on my computer at work. I had to do it at home. So, I'm a little worried that some of the lessons or experiences I try in the future will fail due to my district's setting...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed that you have a plan of action already! I hope that the collaboration between your classes and your friend's classes is beneficial to both of you. Maybe you could even arrange a face to face meeting at the end of the year so the students can actually meet the people they have been working with all year. As much as I am starting to value the Web 2.0 tools, I still feel like sometimes nothing compares to actually communicating in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone. I have high hopes for this idea but it's going to take a lot of thought. I already talked to my friend and he's on board but now I have to get the ball rolling. I'm glad that site was helpful for some of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil,

    Wow - I know others mentioned it, but what an ambitous project. I am really glad to see that you're so excited about it. I would be so nervous (really, just reading your blog made me a bit nauseous with nerves as I tried to imagine myself in your shoes). I hope it goes really well for you, and I hope it turns out to be a positive experience on both ends of the web.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil,
    You made a really important comment (and I said this on someone else's blog as well). YOu need to start small. As you create/use this space to connect with others - your ideas will grow and you'll learn new things as you need to! Are you able to access wikispaces from school (there's also pbwiki too).

    ReplyDelete