Friday, May 20, 2011

Response Blog #3

How will you apply the concepts from the the above online learning experiences in your final web-based learning experience project for this course?

I haven't actually landed on an idea yet for my online learning experience that I will create, however I have been really turned onto Webquest and this webquest finder called Questgarden. I am still thinking about different resources that I would like to incorporate into my lesson.

One thing I am sure that I plan on incorporating are the three Core Principles of Web Based Consttuctivism that we learned about in the VoiceThread. I think collaboration is a great resource when learning, and since the internet gives us that "quick and easy" way to communicate, why not use it. The difficult thing is how I'm going to use it with such young learners.

The WELES handbook website was a great tool that I plan on using as well when designing my learning experience. If you scroll down and browse the lesson planner on the site, there are great ideas to go about how to structure your learning experience.




What content area are you thinking about using?

The content that I would like to present to my learners is most likely going to be one in the second grade curriculum. However, sine I am certified in 7-9th grade Social Studies, I've thought about designing a class for something in that curriculum just in case I decide to make that switch. I also think that a middle school webquest ould be more effective then one for second graders. If i stay in the second grade curriculum I was thinking about doing a webquest on the geography landforms and water sources such as: mountains, hills, valleys, plains, oceans, rivers, etc. I think this would be a great place to learn about these things since these children don't have a lot of opportunities to go to these places, so why not try an online experience. This is a unit that I had already taught my students but I think I could present them with this webquest this year since it's the end of the year and it would be a good review, not to mention that it would be a great pilot for next year.


What websites have you found so far that you would like to use?

http://questgarden.com/46/12/9/070131163744/


This is a great webquest that walks learners through where rivers begin and how they are beneficial. I think this is an age appropiate webquest for my learners.

http://questgarden.com/57/43/5/071108015021/index.htm

Here's a webquest that looks at a specific river (The Nile) and it's benefits to the communities around it. This webquest looks a little bit more advanced for the majority of my class, but I think a couple of my students could benefit from it.


10 comments:

  1. Just a thought, but could you utilize Google Earth when exploring landforms? I don't have a lot of experience with Google Earth, but from the experience I do have, I know that it can be a powerful "field trip" type tool. It can literally take you around the world. I am not sure how you could incorporate this resource, but it was just a thought.
    --Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember, you're not linking to someone else's quest as your project. You have to actually create the quest! Google Earth is a great tool....as mentioned above. There are also many interactive museum in the famous museums around the world. That might be something to consider as well. Here is a wonderful website for you to explore for ideas:
    Xpeditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I loved Google Earth, the problem is that it's such a big application and my old computer that I use in school can't run it very fast. I've tried a couple times and it didn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dr. Fritz, I just checkoud out that Xpeditions link you had recommended and I found a great Map lesson that I plan on using today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, when you wrote mountains and seeing terrain your kids might never have a chance to see, I immediately thought about the Rocky Mountains and the Grand Tetons for some reason. There is this great site that has pod casts from kids that live near the Tetons (i think). In any event, the pod casts aren't about the mountains themselves, but about the wildlife there. It might be cool for your kids to hear other students reading podcasts? Here is the link. I'm sure there are other resources on the main site too... Enjoy a little truncation.

    http://www.nps.gov/grte/photosmultimedia/schneck.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's a great website. What a great idea to make a podcast with your class. I want to do with that with my kids. They would love to hear their own voices and then show other kids what they've done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The younger kids have limited computer knowledge, but I think webquests are a great way to capture their attention and put them in control of their own learning. So, I would love to see what you could come up with for them. :) It really stinks when we are held back by an old computer. I had that problem a few years ago. If you can ever use Google Earth successfully, keep in mind that there is Google Universe too. (I know that our 2nd graders learn about space, so I thought your kids might too.) You can visit stars, planets, and galaxies. It's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Phil, there are so many sites out there that allow you do to podcasting with your class! The links during week 4 will lead you to some of those sites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phil, a website that I found a lot of webquests on was Zunal. All of the ones I found there LOOKED more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phil,

    Good luck narrowing in on a topic. It sounds like you have a lot of options. I've said this on a couple of other blogs, but I really can't wait to see what you create if it turns out to be for 2nd graders. I feel so luck that my students are older, and know how to read (mostly). There are so many more options available to me for online lesson and webquest resources because my kids are older, I feel. As I've read the blogs, I see how the teachers of younger children struggle slightly with finding really great activities.

    ReplyDelete