When I first started this class I was very unclear of what a Mindtool was. I remember asking the question to Professor Fritz "What is a Mindtool?" thinking that it was a certain website or actual brand name corporation product that I was not current with the times with (considering I didn't know what twitter was until a week ago). However after two weeks of EDTEC 566 and after a couple chapters of the book titled "Modeling with Technology-Mindtools for Conceptual Change" I soon realized, but not perfected, what a mindtool really is.
"When a mindtool is being used, knowledge is constructed by the learner not provided by the teacher. Mindtools are just that: tools for engaging the mind" (Jonassen, pg. 21). I thought that quote really sums what a mindtool is with the final 5 words, tools for engaging the mind. That quote in particular got me thinking of my own class and mindtools that I use without even possibly knowing it in the past. I am equipped with a Promethean Smartboard which I use daily. A couple nights ago I wasn't so sure it could be considered a mindtool since I was using it in a direct instruction fashion. Now I realize how it is effective on another level when it comes to engagement. Not only are my students visually engaged but can actively participate as well. "When learners use computers as partners, they off-load some of the unproductive memorizing tasks to the computers, thereby allowing themselves to think more productively" (Jonassen, pg. 21). I feel like my students are using my smartboard to "unload" some unproductive memorizing tasks like maybe drawing a perfect circle or triangle and can focus more on the problem at hand.
The discussion came up earlier in class that which classroom style would be more effective:the mindtool, computer, and online learning room or the old fashioned, routine, and paper room? According to this New York Times blog from a study started in 1996, the online learners are the victors. I personally feel that the most effective teachers are the ones who can use both styles of teaching not only to reach all learners but also to show the students the many different ways to learn and use their minds.
Mindtools seem like such great tools for the classroom and for these lucky young students who have all this at their feet to use. So much can be used with a computer and that's why I believe mindtools are power tools for the brain. They are better and faster with efficiency just like a power tool would be faster and more efficient than a hammer.
Phil, It's so comforting for me to see that I wasn't the only one clueless as to what a "Mindtool" is. Just like you, I have a Smartboard as well and use it daily. The kids are always engaged when it's being used, further proving our discussions of how so many students are visual learners. I find it interesting that the New York Times blog is from a study conducted in 1996. 13 years ago, it was decided that online learners are the victors? I was getting my Master's degree in 1996 and had zero training on using computers and technology in the classroom. And it's only been the last 6 years that my school has really been pushing technology. It seems that it's taken us a while to embrace this study, and we still have a long way to go!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the most effective teachers can use a combination of old school/new school techniques. Remember that website I told you about? Sheppardsoftware.com? I used to teach geography using paper copies of blank maps and the students had to fill in the countries/rivers/capitals etc... Using their computers and working at their own pace, the students use the geography challenges. The have to master 3rd level in less than 3 attempts. I have seen a huge increase in their level of knowledge retention and they have fun at the same time!
...a power tool that's used in the correct way/with the appropriate task! Your understanding of Mindtools will continue to evolve; especially with our discussions this week about spreadsheets and databases!
ReplyDeleteI am blown away by the NYTimes article. I think face to face contact is necessary in a way to build a closer relationship between the student and educator. Learning more about the learner by simply being around him/her creates a stronger connection which may encourage more confidence in one's learning.
ReplyDeleteAt the bottom of the NYTimes page was a link to another article "Dad, I need an iPhone to do my Homework". Although it was not as informative or fact based as the one that you mentioned, it still brought the same idea to the table: time has changed, learning has changed, and we need to "jump on board".
I agree with you. I definitely didn't know what a Mind Tool was but I was happy to see that we already are using Mind Tools and we didn't even know it! I never have used a Smart Board but I have heard great things about them. Sometimes, for me, it's a struggle to get the actual technology into the classroom. Sometimes it's even hard for me to get my students on a computer without planning for it months ahead of time! (It can be difficult to get a computer lab/laptops at my school). But, like you said, our students are lucky to be able to get exposed to technology such as this and I think we need to keep that in mind, as educators. It may be difficult to get them into a computer lab, but once you do, it is definitely worth it.
ReplyDelete